Monday, 7 April 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1.14 – ‘T.A.H.I.T.I.’ Review

Like 'T.R.A.C.K.S.' before it, ‘T.A.H.I.T.I.’ carries straight on from last week’s episode. Skye’s condition is critical and Coulson’s only option is to try and do to her what S.H.I.E.L.D. did to him after his death during ‘The Avengers’. Their search takes them to a secret facility known as ‘The Guest House’ and, while searching for a cure, Coulson soon discovers that he’s still a long way from knowing the truth about his magical recovery.


Though saving Skye is the primary objective throughout the episode, it’s Coulson’s journey that provides the real driving force. Clark Gregg, again, delivers another nuanced performance and the writers perfectly balance satisfying answers with a whole set of new mysteries.

This week’s episode also delivers one of the best supporting characters so far. Bill Paxton’s Agent Garrett is a seasoned S.H.I.E.L.D. operative and he fits into the team seamlessly. His rapport with each of the characters is supremely well-handled and his return can’t come round soon enough.

The ‘small’ moments are moving (Skye) and the ‘big’ moments are breath-taking (the superb special effects) in what is quite possibly the most-accomplished Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode so far.


9/10