Thursday, 3 April 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1.13 – ‘T.R.A.C.K.S.’ Review

Although I've tried my best to avoid any S.H.I.E.L.D. spoilers, the fact that Channel 4 are a good month or so behind the ABC broadcasts means it’s so easy to pick up little titbits here and there.

While I've managed to avoid most of the plot spoilers, I've been helpless when it comes to cast interview snippets. Iain De Caestecker, in particular, made one comment about the show becoming more serialised and drifting away from its procedural roots. But, until now, I hadn't quite known what he was going on about . . .


For only the second time, episode 13 kicks off straight after the events from the end of 'Seeds' last week; the team are on the hunt for Quinn, the one person they’re certain can lead them to the mysterious Clairvoyant.

Their search takes them to Italy, where a mysterious package is being transported on a cross-country train. The team are soon forced to split up and the first half of the episode explores each character’s individual adventure. In a twist on the standard formula, this section plays out in non-chronological order, which develops an interesting sense of mystery. We’re left to piece all the strands together and it provides a mildly distracting sense of audience involvement, however the stakes don’t feel high enough to make the audience really work for the answers. Instead, each reveal is more of an ‘oh’ than an ‘oh my God!’

While ‘T.R.A.C.K.S.’ was undoubtedly interesting, the one-off non-linear narrative didn't produce any notable thrills . . . but at least the final reveal means I'm still looking forward to what’s in store.

7/10