Sunday, 24 January 2016

News – First clip released for Kevin Smith's latest, 'Yoga Hosers'

Kevin Smith has released the first clip from his upcoming teen horror comedy, Yoga Hosers, on his new look Youtube channel.


The film follows the two convenience store clerks seen in the clip (played by Smith's daughter, Harley Quinn Smith, and Lily-Rose Depp) as they battle an ancient evil and try and make it to a senior party.

I must say, I'm a big fan of Smith. From his variable filmography to his prolific podcast network, he's provided me with hundreds of hours of entertainment over the last few years. So, suffice to say I'm looking forward to this one.

I greatly enjoyed his previous big screen effort, Tusk, another podcast-inspired Canadian horror movie and the first film in the so-called True North trilogy (with Yoga Hosers being the second and Moose Jaws the antlered finale).

The first thing that hit me about the above clip is how slick the cinematography looks. The opening shot of Austin Butler's Hunter entering the store and Harley Quinn Smith's slow motion reaction looks great. Say what you will about Smith's development, or lack thereof, as a filmmaker, but he's undoubtedly built a stronger sense of visual storytelling in his most recent features.

I'm not sure about the 'Insta Can' graphics, but it at least looks like Smith is trying to challenge himself with this supposedly PG-13 teen genre movie. I'm also yet to be convinced about the two young leads ability to hold a movie, but I'm certainly rooting for them. Likewise, I'm hoping Smith holds back on Butler's overplayed Canuck twang, but that was always going to be a possible issue.

Yoga Hosers is set to play the midnight slot at the Sundance Film Festival tonight (Sunday 24th).